Re: Help renaming datafile...

From: Mike Burke <mike.burke_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/04/04

Allan,

A SYSTEM tablespace datafile cannot be renamed while the database is open.

Try this,

SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> shutdown normal
SQLDBA> HOST copy 'original datafile' to 'new datafile'
SQLDBA> startup restrict mount
SQLDBA> alter database rename file 'original' to 'new';
SQLDBA> alter database open
SQLDBA> select * from DBA_DATA_FILES;

If you've got time take a backup.

Shutdown and restart the database.

Good luck,

Mike

Allan Marcus wrote:

> How can I rename a datafile used by the System tablespace? The only way I
> can see to rename a datafile is to take the TS offline, which cannot be
> done with the System TS.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Allan Marcus
> abm_at_lanl.gov

PS I've written this without referring to a manual so there may be some typos. Let me know if you have any problems. Received on Fri Apr 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST