Re: Codd's Rule in Oracle

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/04/04

In article <5hiv3t$c96_at_kew.globalnet.co.uk>, MbA <putera_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>Anybody out there have any idea how to prove 12 Codd's Relational
>Database Rules using Oracle?. What I means is to do some simple lab
>test such as create a table, input data, drop it, make queries etc. to
>all 12 Codd's related rule using Oracle.

Neither Oracle nor any other major commercial database claims full compatibility with the mythical Codd 12 rules. The reason I say "mythical" is that Codd produced the 12 rules as part of an article he wrote to popularize his conceptualization of the relational model, and it was never intended to represent some sort of "canon". Codd, Date and others actually have a far more comprehensive list of attributes-- numbering in the hundreds, of functions that should be performed by databases which attempt to conform to the relational model.

My recollection is that Oracle claims to be substantially in conformance to 7 of the 12 "rules", for whatever that is worth. Oracle version 8 will be do a bit more, but the more important consideration is how closely these products conform to ANSI SQL standards.

--
Jack F. Love