Re: How to Convert Oracle dbf to dBase dbf

From: Pierre Bar <_pierre.bar_at_tractebel.be_>
Date: 1997/04/04

I don't understand what an Oracle .dbf file is. But if you want to convert Oracle tables in .dbf files or in Access tables, the easiest way is to connect to Oracle with Visual dBase, FoxPro or Access via ODBC or via IDAPI. If you do it, it's very simple to create the corresponding files.
With Access, you have just to import Oracle tables (with the menu File -> Get External in Version 7, something similar in version 2). With Visual dBase, you must connect to the Oracle database with the "OPEN DATABASE" command and you can copy the Oracle table in dBase or Paradox format. You can also create .dbf files with Access. With Visual FoxPro, I suppose you can find something similar.
If you can't connect to Oracle database with Access or dBase, you can use a different method. You can export data from Oracle with SQL*Plus in a text file and import the data in dBase, FoxPro or Access. You can write a script like this :
SET PAGESIZE 0
SET LINESIZE 1000 (depending of the longest row) SET FEEDBACK OFF
SPOOL xxx.txt (filename)
SELECT * FROM <Table>;
SPOOL OFF
You obtain so a file with fixed-length record. The easiest way to convert such a file to a .dbf file is to use Excel, if it's possible. You can also create a SDF file. It's more difficult in SQL*Plus but easier to import. You must write a SQL command like this (for EMP table, by example) :
SELECT to_char(empno) || ',"' || ename || '","' || job || '",' || mgr || ',"' || to_char(hiredate, 'mm/dd/yyyy') || '",' || to_char(sal) ||','|| to_char(comm) ||','|| to_char(deptno) FROM emp

Aibek Musaev <abbey_at_cc.gatech.edu> wrote in article <01bc39b2$6b023540$30403d80_at_r64h48.res.gatech.edu>...