Advice - ODBC issue w/ new 32-bit ODBC Administrator

From: MRKN <mrkn_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/03

Just wanted to echo what gordon_at_etx.com.au said recently about the new version (3.0?) of MS ODBC Administrator not being compatible with Oracle's ODBC driver. He apparently had trouble after installing Office 97, which upgraded the ODBC administrator function. I had been using a 32-bit Oracle ODBC driver with no problem, until I installed Visual Basic 5, which installed a new ODBC adminstrator. After that, the driver test would return the same error message others were getting -
: >SQLSTATE: 08003
: >NATIVE Error Code: 0
: >Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open

: >SQLSTATE: 01000
: >Native Error Code: 0
: >Driver Message:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned
 invalid (or failed to return)
: >SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: %s

As a workaround, I uninstalled the only 32-bit driver (Oralce) that I had set up. Then, in my Win95 \Windows\System directory, I saved and then DELETED several files named ODBC*32.*, figuring these are associated with the new ODBC admin. Then, I re-installed the Oracle ODBC driver, which installs it's own administrator, which works.

The new administrator is a tabbed dialog, with an "About" tab. The old version is a simple dialog box.

If you need to setup 32-bit drivers for both Oracle and other databases, which may need the new version, then I don't know you do. Is the term "version control" becoming synonymous with fighting fires?

Mark Nelson
Pendleton Woolen Mills
mrkn_at_aol.com Received on Thu Apr 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST