Re: Two Stupid Questions

From: Thomas kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/03/31

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 03:27:35 GMT, kbtr_at_sprynet.com wrote:

>Can anyone help me with these questions :
>
>1) Can an Object span over one or more files?

Yes.

An Oracle database is made up of tablespaces.

Tablespaces consist of one or more datafiles.

Objects are created in tablespaces.

Objects (also referred to as SEGMENTS) are made up of EXTENTS in a tablespace.

EXTENTS are made up contigous groups of BLOCKS. An EXTENT is contained in one datafile but a SEGMENT may have many EXTENTS each of which may be in a separate datafile within the same tablespace.

>2)How do I write a SQL statement to create a tablespace on which I'd
>like to store objects?

refer to the SQL Language reference manual. In short it is:

create tablespace FOO datafile '/data/foo.dbf' size 5m;

To create a tablespace named FOO with on datafile that is sized at 5 meg. Please refer to the docs for the full syntax and other options. Also suggest you take a look at the server concepts manual which goes into detail how objects are stored (for more info on 1 above)...

>Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Mar 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST