Index tablespaces

From: Bruce Bristol <bbristol_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/03/31

Hello,

We have a database primarily consisting of 8 large tables, ranging from 25-60 million rows each, 85Gb total disk space.

I noticed the original DBA had created one tablespace for both the primary and secondary indexes (2 indexes total).

Most of the time the primary index is used for obvious reasons and we usually only have 1-3 processes hitting on Oracle at once. Sometimes we have a process hitting on the secondary index while others are hitting the primary index.

Does it make sense to break each index into its own tablespace or is there no/little benefit? I would think especially being they indexes are of different sizes that it would make some difference.

What do you think?

Also, if the two indexes happened to be the same length in size, would it still make sense to have separate tablespaces?

Thank you!

-Bruce Bristol Received on Mon Mar 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST