Re: Developer 2000 & ODBC

From: Art Clarke <aclarke_at_us.oracle.com.removetoreply>
Date: 1997/03/27

Vijay Raghavacharian wrote:

> I have a copy of Developer 2000 running under WIndows 95. I want to use
> ODBC to connect to the Persosal Oracle 7 database which resides on the
> same PC. I have installed the ODBC adminsitrator for Oracle 7.1. I have
> used the ODBC adminsitrator before to connect to Watcom and SYbase 10
> running on my PC. But when I try to use the ODBC to create the data
> source for Po7, how do I tell ODBC what the database is ? Neither do I
> understand the SQL*Net Connect String value that needs to be entered.
>
> Needless to add I am new to Developer 2000.
>
> An early reply will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

From the ODBC administrator, create a new data source for by clicking on the New
button and choosing the POLite driver (installed with POLite). In the configuration
box, you will have to give the new data source a name (POLite automatically creates
a datasource called POLite which points to the database created when you installed
POLite), and tell it which file on your harddrive holds the database.

Once you have done that, you can connect to the data source from any Oracle tool
(SQL*Plus or Developer2000) by specifing the connect string: <username>/<password>@odbc:<datasourcename>

For example, if you named the datasource "My_Polite" in the ODBC administrator,
and your username is "oot_sch" and your password is "my_password", then to connect
you specify

oot_sch/my_password_at_odbc:my_polite

Note, case does not matter for ODBC data source names.

Hope that helps.

--
| Art Clarke                      |+|         Who Reads This Anyway? |