Re: Help SQLNet Error - ORA 12598

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/03/27

Lennea Kernaz <lkernaz_at_dlcwest.com> writes:

> Arup Ray wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > After installing Oracle 7 Developer 2000 on a Windows 3.1 PC using PCTCP
> > OnNet stack, I am getting an error of ORA 12598 while trying to use
> > SQLPlus 3.1 and trying to connect to a database whose alias is specified
> > in tnsnames.ora. I know that the TCP/IP stack works okay, since I can
> > ping out and connect to the machine with the database using standard
> > methods like telnet. While using the Oracle Net test utility I get
> > the same error ORA 12598 and it complains about problems with native
> > services. When I get the same error in SQLPlus 3.1 it says:
> > ORA 12598 - Cnct Error Can't get text of Error Message.
> > Has anyone else had any experience with the same error code and if so
> > is there any fix available. During the installation of Oracle I took
> > all the recommended defaults so the installation is as standard as
> > it gets. Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Arup Ray
>
> I have encountered this error. In our case, it was the version of SQL
> Net used. The DBA has to have the proper SQL Net set up on their side.
> With that version of SQL Plus I believe it's SQL Net 2.1. Also, it
> could be the alias. SQL Net 2.1 is a little picky about that. You
> could try using the long address instead of the short alias. (for us it
> was something like T:99.1.2.1:COFR)

If I remember correctly, this was caused by an erroneous configuration generated by Network Manager and a bug in SQL*Net.

Check sqlnet.ora. If there is a line that starts with:

sqlnet.authentication_services=

comment it out and try the connection again.

                                Rick
                                Rick Wessman
				Security Products
                                Network and Management Products