Re: Does ORACLE has any stupid restrictions like MS-SQL

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/03/27

Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in article <333A12D5.7387_at_exesolutions.com>...

> And, in reference to the subject, MS-SQL is hardly in the same class as
> Oracle.

And what class will that be? MS-SQL is not *that* bad. And it's easier to administrate than Oracle (OK, I know that less complex also means less features) and has a shorter learning curve. Best of all is the client tools - Oracle's strength was never client tools. SQL*Plus is as useless for interactive work and development as EDLIN for Windows-NT. SQL-Workbook is also not much of an improvement. But then you will quite likely say that good tools does not imply a good database engine. Also true. But why on earth we can't have the best from both worlds is beyond me.

It took me 10 minutes to write a multi-threaded 32bit ISQL client for Oracle using Delphi II. Don't tell me that the programmers at Oracle is that bad that they can't even design & develop a proper front-end tool for Oracle. The latest torrent of Windows '95 & NT tools from Oracle lacks a single UI like Microsoft's Enterprise Manager for SQL-Server. It tells me that all they're doing is firefighting with no real plan to provide a single comprehensive tool for Oracle DBAs. Probably one of the reasons why Platinum is such a favourite amongst Oracle DBAs.

IMO both SQL-Server and Oracle address specific (and sometimes overlapping) market segments. Different classes? - maybe, but does not make one product always better than the next.

My couple of cents worth... :-)

--
regards,
Billy