Re: Best disk/hardware Configuration (How To)

From: RYoung <ryoung_at_summer.dbsol.com>
Date: 1997/03/26

I would think that if you had several distinct drives instead of one BIG E: drive, you would be better able to place your datafiles to distribute the i/o (although spreading E: across multiple disks does this to a fair degree, you don't have quite as much fine control in terms of placement of files...which of the two is best depends on the number of datafiles, their sizes, tablespaces, and how the activity is spread). Placing one tablespace per 1-2 datafiles, monitoring the i/o, and then redistributing the datafiles so that all drives get approx the same amount of activity would then be possible.

I would isolate NT's swap space from the Oracle datafiles for sure. Same for the redo and archived redo logs (which should be mirrored if possible since if they are lost you can only recover up to your last full, cold backup) so that log switches/archiving don't impact the main database as much.

Svein-Egil Pettersen <svpett_at_sn.no> wrote in article <MPG.da31921cd2254d9989684_at_news.sn.no>...