More help on Dynamic SQL

From: Biao Cheng <bcheng_at_cs.buffalo.edu>
Date: 1997/03/25

Hi,

Several people responded my previous post regarding passing a field name to a stored procedure. And all said that I should use DBMS-SQL package. I have tried this package, if I pass a table name, I have no problem, But when I try passing fieldname, before you have the statement

     dbms_sql.execute(mycursor);

You need to call

     dbms_sql.define_column(...),

since the field is unknown, its type is unknown, so how should I go about call define_column?

Thanks for your help. If you get confused about my words, here is my original post.