Re: OCI vs. Pro*C

From: Peter vR. Cooper <pvrc_at_vrcis.com>
Date: 1997/03/24

Gert Rijs wrote:

> Steve Howell <steve_howell_at_mail.amsinc.com> wrote in article
> <33303F01.4ACF_at_mail.amsinc.com>...
> > Rumor has it that Pro*C is significantly faster than OCI.
> >
> > We want the flexibility of OCI, but only if performance is
> > comparable. Is anyone aware of benchmarks that compare
> > the performance of the two? We are running Oracle on
> > HP/UX, but information on any Unix platform would be
> > useful.
> >
> > If Pro*C is faster, why is this so?
> Hi,
> I use oci because of its easier integration with c++ programs (i had
> problems getting pro*c to mix with c++, i heard its better now).
> I never heard the rumour that pro*c is faster, the only rumour i know of is
> the reverse: oci is faster! The only reasons i can think of to use pro*c is
> better portability and easier coding. Of those the second is not valid: if
> you encapsulate oci in a class-library it is very easy to use.
> hope this helps,
> Gert

I have been workin with oracle since the beginning of V4 and I have never heard anyone with good skills report that Pro-C is faster than OCI. Oracle at one time (years ago) made unsupported claims that Pro-C would be faster than OCI eventually. I believe it that Pro-C has never been faster than OCI unless someone used OCI incorrectly (like continual reparsing).

FWIW. be faster than OCI Received on Mon Mar 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST