Re: Question: Database vs TableSpace (please help)

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/03/23

NNOOR wrote:

> We have two projects going, X and Y. Both are unrelated and need there
> own databases. Under MS SQL Server, we went into Enterprise Manager
> and simply created two DB's (as simple as right clicking and choosing
> a menu item). Then we only started the server and all of the DB's on
> it were accessible. On ORACLE, I think things work different way. Is
> TABLE SPACE equivalent to "databases" on SQL Server? In our example, are
> we better off creating two DATABSES on the Oracle server and startup
> both individually or create two TABLE SPACES, one for X and one for Y,
> under the same database (e.g. default ORCL database). If later is the
> case (i.e. using table spaces), does Oracle complain about having exact
> same table names under two different table spaces in the same database?
> How do we resolve conflicts? We looked at the documentation and and it
> seems that creating a database is quite long and complex process.

  In your case, you can create two Oracle databases. Each database is started up individually. Each of them is independent unless you use shared option. (Parallel Server). Each Oracle database is made up a set of background processes, memory and several tablespaces which are used to store data.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.