Re: ORA-0729 on HP

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/03/23

RYoung wrote:

> I have been unable to locate this ORA primarily because the software manual
> is 2 states away. It continues with
>
> "ORA-0729: spcre: semget error. unable to get first semaphore set.
> HPUX ERR 28 No space on device"

  The setting in your OS limit the number of semaphore allocated to Oracle Server. You can check your setting. Alternatively, if it is not caused by your OS, try to check your instance to ensure that your control files, datafiles, redo log are not shared by more than one instance. I have encounted this error when my mistype the name of one of the control file that was used by another instance.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.