Re: ORA-0729 on HP

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1997/03/21

In article <01bc35b1$8c5e3900$6a428ad0_at_pc060.groupZ.net> "RYoung" <ryoung_at_summer.dbsol.com> writes:
>I have been unable to locate this ORA primarily because the software manual
>is 2 states away. It continues with
>
>"ORA-0729: spcre: semget error. unable to get first semaphore set.
>HPUX ERR 28 No space on device"
>
>Am I running into a lack of semaphores and/or shared memory segments? There
>appears to be several hundred MB of space remaining on the drives, So the
>'no space' doesn't seem to refer to the drive.

Yes, you need to look at a manual. Particularly the install guide, and the hp set that explains how to set SHMMAX to 0x4000000, SHMMNI to 100, SHMSEG to 12, SEMMNS to 128, and SEMMNI to 10 (ok, so set it with SAM), assuming you just have one instance and no other products that need to mess with those kernal parameters. You might also run ipcs -m to be sure you are not using up new shared memory each time you start Oracle, without reclaiming the old (like if you kill it uncleanly). You should check your /etc/rc (or whatever, since you didn't specify any versions of anything) for the proper startup command, then bounce the hp and see if simply rebooting doesn't help. You might also check the ORA error number with oerr, I think you may have typoed it. You might check the protection of your $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle, should be something like -rwsr-s--x.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>