Re: Forms4.5: can we create items/blocks dynamically ?

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/03/20

In article <332F0163.3557_at_citicorp.com>, Christian Gregory <christian.gregory_at_citicorp.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Coming from the world of powerbuilder, I find myself lost with forms.
>
>Can we dynamically create items in blocks in forms ?
>
>Say that a user wants to view a record from table A. From an LOV,
>table A is selected, this action would trigger a block to be displayed
>with the 1st record from that table. Now if table B is selected from
>the LOV, then the content of the block for table A is erased, and the
>content of table B is now displayed on that block.
>
>Is this possible ?
>
>Any comment is appreciated.

I got lost with forms, too... Still am, as a matter of fact...<grin>

Well... yes, it's "sort of" possible, but you won't like all the trouble involved doing it. Items cannot be created dynamically, but they can be hidden and displayed, moved around, and resized. And to switch from one table to another, you have to use DBMS_SQL. The QA form I've made available on my web site does what you are asking about.

I just wish you could change the Maximum Length and Data Type properties dynamically. It would have helped in QA.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, a dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST