Re: Does ORACLE has any stupid restrictions like MS-SQL

From: Stephane Lajeunesse <slajeunesse_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 1997/03/18

NNOOR wrote:

> We are getting increasingly frustrated with the restrictions in the
> MS SQL Server, especially when it comes to modifying the columns of
> a table. It does not let you drop a column, change data type or

If I remember correctly, this is defined in the ANSI standard for SQL and is also true for Oracle (cannot drop a column, or chage it's datatype).

> add/remove NULL restrictions. As a result, we are considering

This is a logical error. You cannot make a column NOT NULL if the table as rows. You first have to fill in these rows with values and then make it NOT NULL.

Stephane Lajeunesse. Received on Tue Mar 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST