Shrinking an index??

From: Z. Martinez <zlm101_at_psu.edu>
Date: 1997/03/17

Here is my situation...

I have a large table, a very large table, about one million rows. The table definition goes something like this.

id	number(10)
type	number(3)
desc	char(40)

.
.
.

There are several select statements that are going query on this table, but only needs types 5 and 9, i.e type = 5 or type = 9. This is probably just 10% of the entire table or 100,000 rows.

There is currently an index that keys on the "type" column. It certainly looks like a waste of storage and processing, cause the remaining 900,000 entries are not really needed.

Is there a way to create an index such that only a subset of the table is indexed? I would like to shrink the index to save space and hopefully increase the performance of the queries.

Please respond to zlm101_at_psu.edu

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Mar 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST