Re: How to increase the performance of oracle73 under NT4 server?

From: Randy A. Stebbins <Randys_at_triax.com>
Date: 1997/03/17

> Hi, I have a dual pentium pro 180 with 64megs ran, running NT4 server
> with sp2, IIS3.
>
> Currently I have a 20meg table in oracle. And on average, it takes
> 7-15 seconds for a SQL query like the following to complete.
>
> select * from IEEE_ADMIN.SAMIEEE where (FIRST_NAME='aaa' AND
> LAST_NAME='bbb);
>
> I watched the CPU meter, throughout the query, both CPU's were
> constantly under 9%
>
> Is there a way to instruct oracle server to take full advantage of the
> processing power? It would be pretty crazy to have the web users wait
> for 10-15 seconds before they get the results.
> Or maybe there is a more efficient SQL string?
>
> thanks in advance!

When trying to figure out why an Oracle database is slow, make sure to attack in the following order:

  1. Tune the SQL. Are there indexes? Is the query using them?
  2. Tune the memory. Is the SGA properly sized? Are there enough DB_BLOCK_BUFFERs, etc.
  3. Check for fragmentation. Are your records split up because you inserted records with few columns full and then updated to fill out the columns without setting appropriate PCTFREE and PCTUSED?
  4. Tune the disk space. Are the database files on disks which are busy for other reasons?
  5. Tune the operating system.

The order is significant because you will often get the biggest payback if you find a problem with #1, and the smallest payback if you find a problem with #5. There are, of course, exceptions, but you get the idea.

These are just off the top of my head. I would highly recommend O'Reilly Press' book on Tuning Oracle. I can't think of the authors just now. (My apologies to the authors--it is an excellent book and I can't believe your names have momentarily escaped me. The book is at work and looks like it went through both world wars. Even as a 10-year veteran DBA I refer to it often.) Received on Mon Mar 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST