16-bit SQL*Plus/16-bit ORA7WIN.DLL/windows 3.1/TOOLHELP.DLL/BOOOOM

From: Graham Farquharson <graham_at_advantage-ltd.com>
Date: 1997/03/13

Pardon my general ignorance of things Oracle, but I would greatly appreciate any hints or experience of people who have had a similiar problem to my own. If any.

I am using 16 bit SQL*Plus on windows 3.1 to talk to an Oracle server via TCP/IP using a dial up PPP connection. I have other applications (non-Oracle) that happily navigate their way over the PPP connection but SQL*Plus results in a thoroughly ambigous segment violation in TOOLHELP.DLL. If I use the Oracle TNSPing utility to ping the oracle server and as a side effect cause the PPP connection to be raised I can subsequently use SQL*Plus with no problems. This makes for a simple work around but is frustrating to communicate to all our clients and makes us look a little goofy! Some one needs to introduce a wire-a-beer service to any pub in the world, then I could reward any one kind enough to help me.

Thanks in advance.

--
Graham Farquharson
Advantage Energy Services Ltd.