Re: Cursors consumed to fast :-(

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/03/13

In article <1uuJzA9FBh108h_at_dream.hb.north.de>,   ms_at_dream.hb.north.de (Martin Schroeder) wrote: <details removed>
> But I frequently get the ORA-01000 error -- maximum number of open cursors
> exceeded. OPEN_CURSOR is set to 50.
> When I examine the cursors via v$open_cursor I find indeed many cursors (e.g.
> from triggers); but these remain even after an explicit COMMIT or ROLLBACK.
> I am quite sure that I close all cursors the program knows of...

It is not uncommon to reach the max open cursors limit of 50. As long as you have made sure that you close all of your explicit ones, and use explicit cursors wherever possible, then stop worrying. Just set the limit up to 100.

Also be sure you realize this limit includes all sessions, not just your one running process. If you have other sessions connected to your server, then these also have cursors included in the count.

HTH,
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, my dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088