Re: Help, delete dulications

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/03/12

In article <5g6k08$sje$1_at_spasmolytic.openix.com>, <shu_at_openix.com> wrote:
>Hi, all:
>
>This is the second time I post this message, I guess I didn't
>make my question clear in the first time. Anyway, here is my
>question:
>
>My application will join a Customer table with a Contact Table
>and then create a new table. Since the there are multiple
>entries(rows) in the Contact table can exist for the same
>customer, the new table will be duplicated on some fields from
>Customer table but the entire row still remain unique.
>
>What do I want is to remove those rows contain duplicated
>fields so that the new table will contains only one row
>for each customer. What is the fastest way to delete such kind
>of duplications? Thank in advance.
>

>Shaojie Hu

I suspect that there is more here than meets the eye. First Customers are generally name & address so there may be dups that have different address. Second what additional information besides the unique customer info are you planning on using for the new table and what algorithm are you going to use to determine which set of fields you are going to use?

These issues will have some impact on how you dedup your tables.

Hope this helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Wed Mar 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST