Re: Oracle Password Encryption Algorithm

From: Medic Alert <news_at_medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/03/12

Frank Kobylanski wrote:

> dave_at_fifthd.ca (Dave Macpherson) wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know the algorithm used to encrypt an Oracle password? I
> >need to verify that a password entered in by a user matches an
> >encrypted password stored in DBA_USERS.

> >Regards,

> >Dave Macpherson
>
> If the alogorithm were published, it would kind of defeat the purpose
> of having a password now, wouldn't it???

Not necessarily. Most password encryption algorithms are one-way. That is, given a password, it will produce an encrypted version so that it can be compared to another encrypted version. As far as I know, the algorithm cannot be used to decrypt a password. Whether Oracle's falls into this category or not, I don't know.