Renaming databases

From: Jim Collier <jcollier_at_mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: 1997/03/12

Hello

I want to rename a database from one name to another. Oracle is giving me an error 12206 saying the database id does not match in the system file SYS1BBBB.ORA.

I performed the following steps.

  1. Shutdown the database AAAA.
  2. Made a complete copy of a database system who's system id is AAAA by copying of all AAAA's files in another subdirectory.
  3. Copy all initialization and password files belonging to AAAA in the %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE to the coresponding files for BBBB. directory to there coresponding initialization parameters from AAAA to a new system ID BBBB.
  4. Created the appropriate SQLNET files to include both AAAA and BBBB.
  5. Stared up the listener, AAAA and BBBB via the control panel services (This is ORACLE Workgroup for NT by the way).
  6. BBBB fails to open the database due to the changed system id in my SYS1BBBB.ORA file (it will probably happen in all the other files as well)

I'd appreciate in hearing from you if you could shed some light on how to set to the correct system id. Would re-creating the control file work?

Thanks
Jim Collier Received on Wed Mar 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST