Re: Challenging problem for those who dare to read on...

From: Howard Gluckman <hgluckm_at_uswesst.com>
Date: 1997/03/12

Paul Passarelli wrote:
> > .... When NT is installed, everything is fine. When
> BTrieve(cough) is installed, everything is fine. When I install Oracle, MY
> KEYBOARD STARTS LOCKING UP!
>
> Please help me. When I'm running Oracle 7.2.2.4.9 WGS on NT 4.0 on a
> Gateway 2000 my keyboard periodically ( 2-4 minutes ) LOCKS-UP! I have to
> < details deleted >
> Oh, BTW it gets better. The lockup doesn't affect a genuine Microsoft
> Natural keyboard that I use on my development machine, but does affect the
> Gateway keyboard on the same machine. I've tried several keyboards on
> several machines and it's very repeatable.

Just a guess.... Are you using one of Gateway's "AnyKey" programmable keyboards? It sounds like somehow you are either initiating a keyboard macro that does nothing, or the keyboard is entering its define-macro mode, which seems like a lockup. Try CTRL-ALT-Suspend Macro, and see if that clears it up. Personally, I would just switch to a different keyboard -- I've never been a fan of the "AnyKey".

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

--
Howard Gluckman
Data Architect

Any opinions are personal, and do not represent U S WEST Communications.