From: Krishna Adiraju <kadira_at_ctp.com>
Date: 1997/03/11

Has anybody tried inserting an ASCII file into a long column using SQL*Loader or PRO*C?

Here is
the scenario. An ASCII file (typically a report saved in ASCII format containing blank lines, tabs, new lines etc..) has to be inserted into an Oracle Table's LONG column using SQL*Loader or Pro*C. The data from the Oracle Table is later used by Visual Basic to display on the screen with the same format as the report was printed on the Printer. I tried doing this using SQL*Loader, but it's not working as SQL*Loader treats each line as a record (infact the whole ASCIII file should be treated as a field) and even quits when it encounters blank lines. I tried various options like "enclosed by" etc. but not much success. Typical Data would be something like

Table xyz:

(seq_no number(7),
 rpt_txt long)

seq_no is inserted using a sequence generator and the data for the long column comes from the ASCII file.

ASCII FILE:

XYZ Motors
East West Street
Any city.

Subscription# 43248

Adjustments

Overdue Amount                  20.00
Payment Thank you               10.00
Outstanding Balance             10.00

New Charges
Monthly Service                 40.00
Tax                              5.00

Total Amount Due                55.00

Please send payments to:

ABCFD Inc.
Any Street
Any City.

If you could also email me your suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
krishna.
kadira_at_ctp.com Received on Tue Mar 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST