Re: Database Reorgs

From: Karl M. Nordquist <karln_at_brightwood.com>
Date: 1997/03/07

Stephanie wrote:

> Question: How frequently do you reorg your databases? What size of
> databases are you working with when you do this? Do you reorg to simply
> defragment? or when you reach the hard limit of max extents?

Stephanie,

We have a couple of fairly small databases (2.5g 1.5g) and we re-organize once a year. This, in our case, is mainly to reduce fragmentation, which in turn increases performance. Especially if there are chained rows, etc.

Hopefully you never reach the hard limit of your max extents, for at that time the database stops working.

HTH Regards

//Karl

Karl M. Nordquist		karln_at_brightwood.com
Application Development
Bright Wood Corporation
Madras, Oregon