Re: inserting over 2000 char into a long column ?

From: Diana Duncan <dduncan_at_realogic.com>
Date: 1997/03/06

Gard A. Haugen wrote:

> I have a problem inserting strings over 2000 characters into a long column
> in Oracle.
>
> I'm using Perl 5 whith Dave Roth's Win32::ODBC, but the error message comes
> from oracle
> ORA - 1704 String literal too long.
>
> I need help !!
>
> Gard AH.

01704, 00000, "string literal too long"

// *Cause:  The string literal is longer than 2000 characters.
// *Action:  Use a string literal of at most 2000 characters.
//          Longer values may only be entered using bind variables.

This is the output of oerr for ORA-1704. I would suggest that you use a bind variable ;-) I haven't yet used the Win32::ODBC module, but I am sure that it will implement bind variables -- in fact, I would suggest *always* using bind variables for all of your DML, since the use therof will take advantage of the Shared SQL Area and will improve your performance significantly.

--
Diana Duncan	     | My opinions are my own.
Sr. Consultant	     |