MTS, Tuxedo, 1000 users, connections

From: Steve Howell <steve_howell_at_mail.amsinc.com>
Date: 1997/03/06

If I have a system with 1000 users hitting against an Oracle database on an HP box, what is my best bet for improving performance?

I've heard rumors that keeping Oracle connections around to reuse later can backfire on you, because each connection has a large footprint in memory, and once you leave a connection idle for a while, when you go to revive the connection, Oracle has to do a lot of work to resurrect the connection anyway. So, you might as well just kill a connection when you're done with it, thereby freeing up memory, then get a new one when you need it.

If Tuxedo's the way to go, I'd like to know a little more about their underlying mechanism for taking workload off of Oracle, to make sure that they're not doing the same thing as our existing middleware.

Is 1000 users really enough users to justify a TPM?

I'm still learning about the business requirements of our application, but I imagine that users will generally be doing lots of intermittent, relatively small transactions.

Thanks for your help.

Steve Howell
(standard disclaimer) Received on Thu Mar 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST