Usage dbms_output.enable

From: John Hough <q6y_at_ornl.gov>
Date: 1997/03/04

To all:

I am attempting to write a pl/sql procedure that utilizes the dbms_output.put_line package. In the past I have utilized this for debugging and simply typed "set serveroutput on size 100000"
before executing the procedure and the results were displayed to the screen. My current project leader does not want the persons exeucting the stored procedure to have to turn serveroutput on in order to see the put_line results. So I am trying to get the procedure to do the same utilizing the dbms_output.enable call, so far no luck. I have placed a snippet of the code below, where should the call to dbms_output.enable be to have the buffer go to the screen. Do any other calls need to be made. I tried to place it as the first line of code with a disable at all exit points but it did not work.

Help???, and thanks

John Hough

BEGIN         OPEN c_locks_held;

        FETCH c_locks_held into v_osuser;

        WHILE c_locks_held%FOUND LOOP
                dbms_output.put_line(rpad(v_osuser,10,' '));
                FETCH  c_locks_held into v_osuser;
        END LOOP;

        CLOSE C_LOCKS_HELD;

END; Received on Tue Mar 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST