Re: Moving Indexes to a different tablespace

From: Thomas Griffin <tgriffin_at_qualitech.com>
Date: 1997/03/04

Bhaskar Ghosh wrote:

> I want to move indexes of my schema from one tablespace to another, I
> did an export of the User and then imported the exported file into an
> Indexfile. What I see is all the Table creation scripts are commented
> out. But there are no scripts to create indexes. Can anyone help me with
> some suggestion. Except one index all my other indexes are created as a
> result of a Primary Key or Unique Constraint.
> --

I believe the indexfile only creates index creation statements for indexes created with "create index".
If the indexes were built from within "create or alter table", the REMed create table scripts in the indexfile should contain the same statements.

This is what I believe you need to do:

  1. drop the primary key and unique constraints on the tables
  2. then drop the indexes
  3. using part of the REMed "create table" scripts, use "alter table" to recreate the contraints, specifying what tablespace that the resulting index should be built in.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea or something to add.

Good Luck,

--
Thomas Griffin
Project Leader