Re: Passwords

From: Chris Halioris <halioris_chris_nonlilly_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1997/03/03

Jim wrote:

> People,
>
> Do not use the sqlplus username/password when logging onto Oracle.
>
> By doing a simple ps -ef | grep sqlplus, usernames and passwords are
> clearly visible.
>
> Example:
> sqlplus lcos_owner/?????????????????

While the above guideline is certainly correct in a production environment, that does not necessarily hold true in a development environment.

> Since this has the word owner, one would guess that this could be
> production data. Guess the person isn't smart enough to realize that
> they could jepardize the data and it's integrity.
>
> Be smart....just enter sqlplus THEN your username and password.

And, since the account you were picking on above was in a development environment and not in a production environment you are obviously mistaken in your guess that this could be production data. Guess you weren't smart enough to realize what instance you were looking at before you jumped out here to make wild accusations that weren't correct. Since the instance was dev_29, I would guess you'd be smart enough to realize this was a development instance.

Do your homework next time...

Chris Received on Mon Mar 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST