Re: outer join

From: Karl M. Nordquist <karln_at_brightwood.com>
Date: 1997/02/28

Michiel Perdeck wrote:

> I think the latter. But why exactly?
> Would it be a useable rule-of-thumb to state that in cases like this,
> the (+) must be placed next to the Primary key?

Not necessarily. I believe you want it on the table where the NULLs can be. So if the NULLs can be in your main table, then you want it the first way you described. But since the NULLs are in the secondary table, then you wan the outer join on it instead.

Volker Koenig suggests an sub-select. Do not use this if performance is needed. In my opinion, *always* use a sub-select as a last resort, because they are extremely slow, especially when dealing with a lot of data in each table.

HTH Regards

//Karl

Karl M. Nordquist		karln_at_brightwood.com
Application Development
Bright Wood Corporation
Madras, Oregon