Re: ODBC problems... HELP!

From: Dennis Flinn <dflinn_at_eastman.com>
Date: 1997/02/27

Antonio:

Please see the following:

Source: Problem Repository (Problem) Moderator: EBURNS.US
Platforms: 615 912
Products: 579
Components: ODBC_V01.15.00.03.01A

RDBMS:      V07.03.XX
Errors:

FINE
+=+

Problem Description:

When attempting to connect to Oracle using the 1.X 32-bit Oracle ODBC driver
on Windows NT or Windows 95, the following errors are reported:

SQLSTATE 08003
Native Error Code: 0
Driver Message:[Oracle] [ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open.

followed by:

SQLSTATE: 0100
Native Error Code:0
Driver Message:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned invalid
(or failed to return) SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: %s

Problem Explanation

ODBC driver Manager 3.x was installed on this machine when Office 97, Excel 97
or any other Microsoft 97 product was installed.

Related Terms:

Open Database Connectivity
Winnt
odbctest

+==+

Diagnostics and References:

Source: Problem Repository (Solution) Moderator: EBURNS.US
Platforms: 615 912
Products: 579
Components: ODBC_V01.XX
RDBMS: V07.03.XX   Summary:
ODBC DRIVER MANAGER 3.X OR HIGHER IS NOT SUPPORTED.
+=+

Solution Description:

The customer is probably trying to use a newly released version of odbc32.dll
from Microsoft. The Oracle ODBC drivers are designed to work against version
2.X of the odbc32.dll.

To check the version of the installed driver manager. Follow these steps:

  1. Bring up Explorer (this is in Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0). For Windows NT 3.51 use File Manager.
  2. Go to the following directory:
	For Windows 95:   windows95/system
 	For Windows NT:	  winnt/system 32

3) Find the file named odbc32.dll and highlight it.

4) Press alt + ENTER to display the Properties Sheet.

5a) Follow these steps for Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0:

   Click on the tab labeled version.
   The first line displays the installed ODBC Driver Manager version.

5b) On Windows NT 3.51 follow these steps:

    The fourth line, labeled 'Version' states the installed ODBC Driver

    Manager version.

6) If the version is 3.X or higher, it is not supported with the current

   Oracle7 ODBC drivers (Oracle7 V1.16.3.1.0 dated 12/96).

For more information on why the 3.X Driver Manager is not supported please
read the Solution Explanation.

Solution Explanation:

This error occurs when attempting to use Level 1 compliant Oracle ODBC drivers
with the ODBC 3.0 Driver Manager. The ODBC 3.0 specification clearly states
that ODBC 3.0 is only backwards compliant to the ODBC 2.0 specification such
that Level 1 compliant ODBC drivers cannot be used with the ODBC 3.0 Driver
Manager.

The customer must downgrade to the ODBC 2.5 Driver Manager since Oracle does
not currently provide a Level 2 compliant ODBC driver.