Creating temporary tables

From: Rick Stacy <rstacy_at_alphagene.com>
Date: 1997/02/25

Hi,

We are in the process of developing software which will have several complicated queries requiring the use of temporary tables. With Sybase, for example, you can create these temporary tables and create joins against them to complete the query. Once the transaction is complete, the table is removed. We would like to do something similar with Oracle, but I have not seen how it is possible using the standard SQL syntax rather than PL/SQL.

Here's the wrinkle: The software is being developed with a scripting language which has APIs to Oracle, Sybase, etc. This allows us to use ANSI SQL92 syntax for our queries and simply use the appropriate API. Ideally, we would like to avoid using any database-specific syntax, like PL/SQL, allowing us to maintain one set of database-independent code.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

--
Rick Stacy                       |
Scientific Database Engineer     | "Indecision may or may not