Mac client to Oracle database

From: Joseph W. Bausch <bausch_at_a.chem.upenn.edu>
Date: 1997/02/24

Hi, I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup for this message and I hope I can put my question(s) into a readable form!

Here's what I think I have access to: Oracle Office 2.1 on a Unix box. My university I believe is on a 10baseT network connection, and also supports only th PC platform. PC's connect up to Oracle Office I guess using their PC client on their machine which accesses the database on the unix box. I am unfortunate (or fortunate :) ) enough to use a Mac, which my university does not provide software support. I noticed that the Unix box does contain an X-client, so I downloaded a demo version of an X-server program for my Mac, and with some help from a Unix guru friend of mine, made the connection to Oracle and it works pretty darn well.

However, I would like to know how to connect up Macs to this unix box in the analogous way that the PC'ers do it. I was able to locate the handful of floppy disks for what I think is installing the Mac client for Oracle Office, but have not been successful in getting it work.

Questions:

  1. Is there any reason the Unix box won't take my Mac connection? Does the database there somehow have to be set up any differently to let Macs in? I am guessing it doesn't.
  2. The manual I have for doing the Mac client install talks about some type of SQL*Net software needed for the Mac. Is this true? Can't I just do this via my TCP/IP connection? If I need the SQL*Net software, where do I get it? Was it supposed to come with the installation disks?
  3. If I the answer to question 1 is no, and I do in fact need, and get, this SQL software, is the rest of the setup to make the connection to the Unix box straightforward?

Any help is much appreciated!

JWB