Re: Passwords from UNIX

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/02/24

If your users are accessing the database locally, ie your not using Client/Server architecture then you can set up the users as OPS$ users. These accounts are not validated by ORACLE, as you are telling it that validation will be done at the OS level. As an example, you have a unix user rfegan. You create an ORACLE user OPS$RFEGAN
When rfegan logs into the unix box he simply has to type sqlplus /
to start a sqlplus session, similarly for forms etc.

I cannot remember the exact syntax for setting these users up in ORACLE 7, but you should be able to find it in the documentation.

Also, I think ORACLE does support OS user authentication in some Client/Server environments - but you'd have to contact ORACLE with your particular configuration to see if you would be supported.

Rob

Subject: Passwords from UNIX
From: Krampen_at_t-online.de (Stefan Krampen) Date: 23 Feb 1997 19:20:42 GMT

We have Oracle running under HP-UX. On UNIX is NIS (YP) for the passwords active.
Is it possible to have the same userpassword in UNIX and ORACLE. The USers should only know one password.
I think there shoule be an way to import/export password(strings) from Oracle to UNIX and vice versa.

Regard
Stefan Krampen Received on Mon Feb 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST