Re: Fire a Program using a trigger

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/02/21

http://govt.us.oracle.com has a utility staged on it called plex that fully automates the process of writing a pipe daemon.

You would create a stored procedure stub, for example:

create procedure my_procedure( a in number, b in number, c in out varchar2 ) as
begin
null;
end;
/

You would then use the plex utility makesrc to have the pl/sql rewritten in the database and a c stub generated. All you have to do is fill in the code in the c stub that actually implements the procedure "my_procedure". It automates and hides all of the interprocess communication you would normally write using dbms_pipe.

look for it under downloadable utilities.

On Thu, 20 Feb 97 03:45:49 GMT, simon_at_microlistics.com.au (Simon Taylor) wrote:

>In article <3309FFA4.3642_at_cmiu.bt.co.uk>, georgeb_at_cmiu.bt.co.uk wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know how to write a trigger which fires a program.
>
>Ask your Oracle support people about the dbms_pipe package. properly
>configured, this allows you to write a server program that will execute
>operating system command lines in a manner synonymous with the
>Unix system() call. Oracle will supply you with an example plsql
>package that I think is called "daemon.plsql".
>
>If your Oracle is installed on Unix, look for,
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmspipe.sql
>
>as a starting point.
>
>I can supply you with some source code examples if you can't get any
>through Oracle.
>
>Simon Taylor.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Feb 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST