Re: Data Modelling

From: Eric Hansen <erichansen_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/02/19

hfs1+@pitt.edu wrote:

>Eric Hansen wrote:
>
>> >The main issue is data modelling. Can anyone tell me how much disk space
>> >I will need for a database which wil house 27,000,000 variables? The
>> >majority will be numeric with about 1/3 string.
>>
>> That isn't much to go by. How big are the variables? How big are the
>> strings? How many rows and columns are you looking at?
>
>There will be 3000 colomns and about 9000 rows. String variables will be
>maximum of 40 in the event that someone has a hyphenated name. The
>other, numeric variables, will be somewhere in the order of 2-5 digits
>long.

I thought the maximum number of columns in Oracle was 254, so you might have a problem with that.

You should make the strings varchar2(40) so they will take only as much space as needed. And the numbers will be number(5).

I don't know how to calculate the disk space. That's a DBA job. Received on Wed Feb 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST