Re: how to learn oracle financial??

From: Mike Proctor <mp_at_mg-tc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/19

Some of the best implimentors are (in a previous life) accountants, often who have helped with financials in a full time job and then left to do Oracle exclusively.

Of you've not seen Financials? then you might not appreciate that implimentation is mostly set-up using Forms, there is virtually no real programming most of the time. (I say this because I didn't understand this at all, until I saw it 'for real')

To work on database customisation programing and interface development, just becoming a good PL/SQL programmer is half the battle, with a strong knowlege of entity relationship modelling, to allow you to understand the table structures/relationships.
Even here a basic to good understanding of the business you are working in ca be invaluable.

Forms customisation, I have never personally witnessed to any *great* degree. You will find that most sites, in my experience, avoid this like the plague these days anyway because of the potentially huge cost of upgrades afterwards.

The shorter answer then is; you can learn all the prerequisite skills at college or evening classes etc., but an element of luck is likely to be involved too, and of course applying to the right companies.

This is probably why people are in such high demand in this area, and generally pretty well paid.

If someone knows shorter routes, without involving too much luck, I'd love to know them, trying to bring new people in to this is never easy.

Hope that helps, a little anyway.

Good luck

Mike

In article <5dg7sb$p4b_at_portal.gmu.edu>, Archana Agarwal <aagarwa2_at_osf1.gmu.edu> writes

--
Mike Proctor                    Database Consultants International (UK)

Mike_Proctor_at_realworld.com      Oracle vision.
                                Only Oracle.
                                All the time.