Re: Designer 2000 Buggy??

From: Phil Cook <pcook_at_iamerica.net>
Date: 1997/02/18

Sanjeev Parikh <sanj_at_compuserve.com> wrote in article <01bc1876$c8096e00$0703e8c3_at_sanj-home>...

> Does anyone have experience using Designer2000? I will be receiving the
> product in about a weeks time, and am interested to hear from people
> who have used the product and how they found the tool.
>
> Reason why I ask is that I have heard all sorts of rumors regarding
> various bugs in this software, having used Developer2000 since it release
> 1.0 (buggy) to 1.3 (stable environment), I am aware of the known bugs
> oracle leaves in it production tools.
>
> Sanjeev Parikh
> London UK.
>
> sanj_at_compuserve.com

We have been using Designer 1.2 and now 1.3 for the past year, mostly as a data modeling tool.
We have 1000 tables/entities and 4000 modules. The entity modeling has been stable. We have seen most of our problems in using the database design wizard to
generate from upper case to lower case, the output can be cryptic and problems can be
time-consuming to track down. We have also had problems deleting table columns and finding
associated modules. We have seen alot less GPFs with the 32 bit 1.3 version. Use lots of
memory, I am running 50 meg of RAM on a 166 Mhz PC, the repository is on a backend server.

Phil Cook
Dallas, Texas Received on Tue Feb 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST