Re: Query Oracle error message text by error code in RDBMS

From: Thomas Griffin <tgriffin_at_qualitech.com>
Date: 1997/02/13

Tamas Szecsy wrote:

> Does someone know how to query the error text for a given error code?
> Are error texts stored in the database? I have Oracle Server 7.1.3.3.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tamas Szecsy
> tszecsy_at_geometria.hu

If your server is on UNIX, at an UNIX shell prompt you can use oerr.

$ oerr
Usage: oerr facility error

Facility is identified by the three-letter prefix in the error
string.  For example, if you get ORA-7300, "ora" is the facility
and "7300" is the error.  So you should type "oerr ora 7300".
If you get LCD-111, type "oerr lcd 111", and so on.

$ oerr ora
1
00001, 00000, "unique constraint (%s.%s)
violated"

// *Cause: An update or insert statement attempted to insert a duplicate key
//         For Trusted ORACLE configured in DBMS MAC mode, you may
see
//         this message if a duplicate entry exists at a different
level.
// *Action: Either remove the unique restriction or do not insert the
key
$

--
Thomas Griffin