Re: Q: DBA group in UNIX ...

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1997/02/13

In article <33027256.5461_at_nightmare.com> oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com> writes:

>------------1C7122C268510
>
>Pere Juanola wrote:
>>
>> After talking with Oracle Support I discovered that the users on DBA
>> group MUST have UID greater or equal to 3.
>>
>> I suppose that I'm right. If somebody disagree please em.mail me.

It depends on your unix, but if you look in your /etc/passwd, you will see a number of UID's that are used by various system functions. UID 0, also known as root, has many special powers and is often specifically coded for or against in applications code such as Oracle. Other low numbers are inevitably used by system things, so you wouldn't want to use them.

>> Pere Juanola i Juanola
>> E-Mail : pjuanola_at_grn.es
>> http://www.grn.es/personals/pjuanola
>
>Did you try the "newgrp" command?
>
>That should work.

Again, it varies by unix.

>------------1C7122C268510
>
><HTML><BODY>

Please turn off your html duplication when posting to newsgroups.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>