Re: Oracle performance degradation - help!?!

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

Check your alert_$ORACLE_SID.log file for "checkpoint not complete" or " Can not allocate log, archival required" messages.

If you are getting #2 and this batch process is a one time thing you might consider:

If you are getting #1, increase the number and/or size of your online redo log files. You can add a lot for the batch update and then drop them when you are done.

On 10 Feb 1997 23:31:11 GMT, MWilson_at_ti.com (Michael Wilson) wrote:

>We have a purchased software package that includes "batch" programs for the
>conversion of data from our old system to the new one. We are running on an
>HP-UX 10.01 system, 1GB memory, 2 processors with Oracle 7.1.4. When the batch
>program starts, we see insert rates of 500/minute which quickly degrades after
>3-4 hours to 20 inserts/minute. The supplier says that they are committing
>after every insert. Looking at USER_EXTENTS shows no extents on the table
>involved. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
>
>TIA,
> Michael

> Michael Wilson _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/
> SG Software Solutions _/ _/
> Defense Systems & Electronics _/ _/
> Texas Instruments, Inc. _/ _/
> _/ _/_/_/
> mwilson_at_ti.com ** 972-575-3448 ** 972-575-2628 (fax)

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Feb 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST