Re: How to best distribute TNSNAMES.ORA file to many clients?

From: ggrooms <ggrooms_at_i1.net>
Date: 1997/02/11

Dave,

You didn't say if you're clients are Windows 3.1 or Windows95...You can put the orawin or orawin95 dir on a Network drive that your users can read from. The manner in which the config is done to point to that drive depends on whether your clients are 16 bit or 32 bit. You can do both, but will need to set up to separate directory structures, each with their own windows network products installed (orawin & orawin95, etc.). 16 bit uses both the DOS PATH and the [Oracle} section in win.ini to point to the location of the client DLLs and the oracle.ini file (respectively). 32 bit uses the registry to point to the client DLLs and other info (setup on install). The other option is to use a remote shared registry, or merge the Oracle registry entries into each users registry. I have learned most of this throught trial and error the hard way, and through the suggestions of others.

Greg Grooms
DBA
PRC David K. Baux <dbaux_at_amfam.com> wrote in article <32FB88B9.1D68_at_amfam.com>...