Re: How to access an Oracle database with Windows ODBC drivers in OS/2 Warp?

From: Thomas Griffin <tgriffin_at_qualitech.com>
Date: 1997/02/10

Steve Holden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been charged with the responsibility of testing a 16-bit Windows
> application in both OS/2 Warp (3.0 and 4.0) operating systems. The
> application uses either Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.03 or an Oracle 7.2/7.3
> database. Oracle for Windows supports TCP/IP and Named Pipes, but as of
> now, even with OS/2's TCP/IP set up correctly, I cannot connect to an
> Oracle data source using TCP/IP. The software ran fine in Windows (which
> uses Microsoft's TCP/IP).
>
> Has anyone here been successful using a Windows 16-bit application to
> connect to an Oracle database while running it under OS/2 (and using
> Intersolv ODBC drivers) via TCP/IP? If so, what special measures need to be
> taken to configure either the operating system or the Oracle drivers?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
>
> Steve Holden
> stevehol_at_ix.netcom.com

You need SQL*NET and SQL*VDM for OS/2. Windows apps are not allowed direct acces to tcp/ip in OS/2. You must go through OS/2. The SQL*VDM product acts as a transport for the windows. You need to install and configure sql*net for OS/2. The vdmsrv process must be running in OS/2. Then sqlvdm tsr must be executed in the windows evironment before starting windows.

--
Thomas Griffin
Project Leader