Re: Backup Software

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/02/10

John Morrison wrote:

> There are a few options, one of which is Alexandria, the other we are
> considering is Legato Networker. Networker requires Oracle EBU, Alexandria
> requires the Oracle "database personality"
<snip>

We are going to Alexandria as a 'standard' using StorageTek silos. We looked at Legato but it was missing some features at the time like the ability to restore a database to a different machine than the one where the backup was taken. Important for sending a copy to development, using a warm spare or disaster recovery machine. Check the features on each one, there are some important differences.

BTW, Alexandria seemed to handle all our requirements for a 24x7 system with NO scheduled down time with warm spares and disaster recovery at another site. The only down side is it doesn't use EBU, but I expect them to go to that later.

Hope this helps.

---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services
akirby_at_att.com			Alpharetta, GA.