Re: Configuring ODBC to access oracle db via Acces 2.0

From: Vance Pan <g2l1_at_ugrad.cs.ubc.ca>
Date: 1997/02/09

wanda harris wrote:

> I'm new to Oracle and looking for a standard way to configure Access 2.0 to
> attach to an Oracle db. What specifics are necessary?

Hi,

You can establish a connection by installing an 16Bit Oracle ODBC driver with SQL*Net on your client (your Access application) then on your Oracle db you will also need to have SQL*Net configured so it will listen to the client connection request on your database server. This is the 2-tier connection.

There is also a newer standard for establishing such connections. Instead of installing the ODBC drivers and the client libraries (SQL*Net) on the client, you put them onto an ODBC server in between the clients and the data sources. On the clients you install an universal ODBC driver manager which will talk to the ODBC server. The way an ODBC server coomunicates with the database server is similar to the 2-tier connection. SimbaExpress uses this type of architecture for connection between clients and data sources. This type of 3-tier architecture increases the scalability of database connectivity and allows simultaneous access of multiple data sources.

Vance

Vance Pan                            mailto:g2l1_at_ugrad.cs.ubc.ca

Free version of SimbaExpress! Download it at... http://www.simbatech.com/express

Need to build ODBC drivers? Check out... http://www.simbatech.com/sdk

For other information, you can contact mailto:info_at_simbatech.com