Re: Optimizing UNION ALL (partition) views in 7.3

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/02/09

In article <32FD0A10.10A4_at_erols.com>, Tom Larson <tclarson_at_erols.com> wrote:
>According to Oracle literature, when using partition views in version
>7.3, the optimizer can intelligently eliminate tables from consideration
>when processing queries where the scope of the query is limited to a
>single table (or subset of tables) within the UNION ALL view.
>
>I would like details on the following:
>
>A. What is required in order for the optimizer to do this "weeding" of
>tables?

Put check constraints on the tables.

>Notes: I'm assuming that tables and indexes should be analyzed
>(COMPUTE/ESTIMATE STATISTICS). I've also heard that constraints on the
>partitioning column are required.

See answer to A.

>B. What does the EXPLAIN PLAN output look like when the optimizer is
>"doing the right thing"?

I don't remeber the exact wording but it is obvious as to whats going on.

>Notes: I've not yet been able to get a plan that doesn't either INDEX
>RANGE SCAN or FULL TABLE SCAN all tables in the view. However, it
>appears that in some cases the INDEX RANGE SCANS could be false and the
>tables might be being eliminated from consideration without I/O against
>the tables or the indexes.

There is also a parameter in init.ora (I forget what it is and it is not documented in Appendix C of the performance tuning guide as I recall).

>Any and all tid bits will be appreciated.

Try creating the view and then run explain plan, as I recall it was pretty straight forward after parameter.

I believe that the in clause may have some problems.

Also I recreated the view in the middle of a query and answer it gave was for only the view at the begining of the query not the new view.

>Tom Larson
>tclarson_at_erols.com

Hope this helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sun Feb 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST