Re: Cross-referencing tool for FORMS?

From: QuadTwin <quadtwin_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/02/08

I assume you are not designing your forms with Designer/2000. If you were, most of your needs would be met. Designer/2000 can be used to "reverse-engineer" your forms for the purpose of cross-reference, but I have not used it myself. My understanding is that it would not satisfy all of your needs. But it should do a reasonable job of identifying where tables and columns are referenced.

If you do not use Designer/2000, you must implement your own SQL parser to analyze DML statements (INSERT, UPDATE, etc.). For base table information in FORMS, the only approach that I know of is to execute each form in a special mode that allows you to use get_block_property and get_item_property to acquire information. You then commit this data to the database and post-process it. To attempt this you need to instrument every form to participate.

It's quite a task to do all this and you're never comfortable that you have
100% coverage, particularly with the SQL parsing.

To cross reference PL/SQL program unit references, you need to write your own PL/SQL parser. We have not attempted this.

Al Received on Sat Feb 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST